“Is it a bird, is it a plane…” What is
the Dolcera dashboard
and how does it fit into the constellation of other patent products
Three types of patent applications have been available to IP professionals over the years:
- Patent search engines: In this category, we have the Thomson tools (Micropatent, Delphion, Thomson Innovation), Questel, Lexis-Nexis, Google Patents, and the patent office’s own search tools (USPTO’s search engine, eSpaceNet, etc.).
- Patent analytics tools: In this category, we have the desktop tools (VantagePoint, for example), and the online tools such as Aureka, Innography, and PatentInsight Pro.
- Intellectual asset management systems: In this category, we have FoundationIP, IPMaster, Anaqua, and many others.
Patent professionals and other patent-aware professionals (inventors, scientists, business development/licensing managers) need tools for the following tasks:
- Search: Conducting patent searches on patent databases around the world.
- Categorization: Organize patent data (one’s own patents or competitors’ patents or those of a potential acquisition) into categories and groups that can be used for easy access to patent information.
- Analysis: Analyzing large quantities of patent information to understand trends and to make business decisions.
- Sharing/Presentation: Share “raw” patent data and the analysis with large teams of people.
- Collaboration: Obtaining feedback from other stakeholders in the organization, or from partners and collaborators (outside counsel, for example) on the patent data.
- Docketing: Tracking one’s own portfolio through the prosecution process and beyond.
The existing products do a good job of search, analysis, and docketing processes. While categorization, sharing/presentation, and collaboration are equally important aspects of the patent world, they are underserved by the tools described above.
Enter the Dolcera dashboard. The dashboard focuses on the three tasks: patent categorization, patent sharing/presentation, and collaboration. With the dashboard, these three tasks are a breeze: you can take your patent sets and categories, organize patents into the categories, share the results with an interactive presentation platform, and collaborate with your colleagues easily.
The dashboard is the Facebook of patents, and not the Google search engine.
Dolcera also provides high quality patent search and analysis services
as well, using some of the excellent search tools described above, as well as using some of our internal proprietary technologies.